Bluff City Electric
(North Shore line
#3 in Waukegan IL.
This line was chartered in December of 1894. These 3 cars (#1-3) were ordered
by the Greensburg Jeanette & Pittsburgh Street Railway 8/95, on Brill
order 6649, but not delivered thereto. The order passed to Bluff
City and the cars were delivered in time for opening, ca. 5/96.
Cars 2 and 3 were
sold to Kenosha in 1903, becoming #1-2. Car 2 was destroyed in an
accident almost immediately. Meanwhile, the Chicago Milwaukee Elec.
had begun to convert Bluff City #1 into a line car. Kenosha, desperate
for equipment, leased #1 for several months. It was returned and
the line car conversion finished in 1904, and the car was finally scrapped
ca. 1912. The final disposition of the third car is unknown, but
it was probably scrapped before 1910.
Caption data from
James H. Graebner
Bill Volkmer collection
North Shore page
to Main Page