Port of Spain, capital city
of Trinidad, opened a 3 ft 6 in gauge trolley line in 1895, Brill cars.
A Canadian company called Trinidad Electric acquired it and converted it
to standard gauge in 1902. By 1933 T.E. was running 30 passenger cars,
all from Brill, on 23 km of track. The system allegedly closed in 1950,
but one line reopened in 1954 and ran until 1956.
Street traffic in Trinidad
is left-hand, English-style, and T.E. also ran the hemisphere's only left-hand
Caption data from Allen
Ken Josephson collection
to Main Page