Car 471 in Rock Island
Horsecar service began in
Rock Island in 1866 in RockIsland, and additional companies began operating
thereafter in the other cities. Electrification began
in Davenport in 1885. In March 1906, the Tri-City Railway & Light
Company acquired all of the various companies. Buses were introduced
on new extensions in 1920 and began replacing streetcars on lines in 1937.
The last streetcars operated on the Bridge line in 1940.
Stephen M. Scalzo collection
to Main Page