Marion Railways was formed
in 1933 after the Indiana Railroad gave up the interurban service through
town. A fleet of 25 single truck Birney cars was aquired second hand and
maintained service up until June 26, 1947 when the streetcars were converted
to bus lines. Car 23 shown here was purchased in 1937 from Springfield,
IL, where it operated as number 257. It was built in 1920 by St.
Louis Car Co.
Bill Volkmer collection
to Main Page