New York Museum of Transportation
This rapid transit car was
originally Philadelphia & Western (later Red
Arrow) #161, a "Strafford"
car built for service on the Norristown line. It
was built by Brill in 1927,
and served for over half a century. After
retirement by SEPTA, it
went to the Trans-Mississippi Trolley line in
Keokuk, Iowa. There
it had a stepwell cut into it (far right), and it
helped ferry workers across
the river during the 1993 floods. TMT went
defunct in 1996, and it
was sold to the New York Museum of Transportation near Rochester.
The car is getting worked on; witness the newly canvassed roof and windows
removed for rebuilding.
July 27, 2002
Frank Hicks photo
New York State Page
to Main Page