Dayton & Troy Electric
#20? on East First Street
in Dayton, Ohio at the ground-level crossing of the B&O Railroad.
To the left background is one of People's Railway 500 series cars.
This is on of the 200 series cars built by Cincinnati Car Co. in 1929,
operating until line closed in 1932, when it was returned to the Car Co.
Sold to the Lehigh Valley Transit Co. in 1938 to become one of their series
1100 cars for use on the Allentown-Easton run until 1949. Subsequently
this car, along with car 1102. Car 1102 was eventually modernized and became
MRT (not Speedrail) 66. The Speedrail name had been dropped in December
of 1950 when the federal trustee, Bruno V. Bitker assumed management of
By the time of the car's entry into service on 3/31/51 the end was rapidly
approaching for Speedrail. It was simply too little too late. Car 1100
was never refurbished and never turned a wheel in revenue service. Regrettably
car 66 was scrapped along with all of Speedrail's equipment in 1952.
Caption data from Cliff
Scholes and Larry Sakar
Harv Hylton collection
Ohio Page 1
Ohio Page 2
to Main Page