Penn Ohio System
The photo was taken in 1924
at the Kuhlman Car Co. in Cleveland. There were 12 of these cars
built for the Penn Ohio Lines after the interurban portion of the Mahoning
Valley Railway was split away on July 1, 1923. The cars went to what was
then called "The West End Traction Company" (There was ALSO an EAST End
Traction Company that operated the New Castle and Campbell to State Line
routes). Numbers 701-706 operated on the Niles to Warren
line while the 707-711 ran on the Hubbard, Masury and Sharon lines.
Car 712 was assigned to the Lowellville-NewCastle line.
The cars were the mainstay
of the Youngstown system during its last years. Niles to Mineral
Ridge was abandoned May 15, 1927, Youngstown to Leavittsburg January 1,
1932, and Youngstown to Sharon March 10, 1939.
The company name was changed
to West End Interurban Railway on September 20, 1937.
Car 702 was one of
six cars assigned to the Youngstown-Warren line. It is shown in downtown
Youngstown in the 1930s.
Ohio Page 2
Dan Borgnis Collection
Ohio Page 1
to Main Page