Paul Ward's Collection
There were three experimental
cars built by Osgood Bradley for Pittsburgh Railways in 1928 and 1929.
While they were basically Electromobiles, they differed from the others
in that they had notch controllers and Timken trucks. 6000 and 6001
were like the car in the
photo while 6002 was an
elongated Peter Witt design, with a center door. As modern
as these cars were, Pittsburgh elected to wait until the true PCC car was
developed and tested before buying new cars, a seven year wait. See
"Pittsburgh's Experimental 6000's" available from the Museum Store of Pennsylvania
It was built in 1928 and withdrawn in 1940, running mainly on Rt. 38-Mt.
Lebanon. This car had a feature that weighed its passengers in order to
apply the optimum amount of braking! Information is from the book "The
Street Railways of Pittsburgh, 1859-1967" by Tom E. Parkinson. The
location is on Brushton Avenue, a half block south of the eastern end of
PRCo's Homewood Shops. Very nearly all of the official company photographs
were taken at this location. Probably due to the depression, no more cars
of this type were ordered.
Caption data by Bill Volkmer,
Wayne Roberts and Ralph
to Paul Ward's page
state by state listings
to Main Page